The Lorain Historical Society engages members of the community and our visitors in our shared and diverse history through preservation, education, collaborations, and exciting programming for all ages, so that we learn from the past, develop civic pride, and transform the future. The Carnegie Center was built on August 19, 1903. The building project was funded with a gift of $30,000 from the Andrew Carnegie Building Foundation, along with support from the local community. In addition to The Carnegie Center, The Lorain Historical Society owns another building, The Moore House Museum.
The Carnegie Center, formerly the Carnegie Library, is located at 329 W 10th Street in Lorain. A phase 1 assessment and asbestos survey was conducted at the Former Carnegie Library before renovation. The Lorain Port Authority put in $__ of the Brownfields Grant money to assess the site which led to about $2 million in redevelopment dollars leveraged. It is now home to the administrative offices, community meeting room, gift shop, historic display center, and education center of the Lorain Historical Society. They currently employ 3 full-time employees and 4 part-time employees.