By Richard Payerchin, The Morning Journal
Tributes to bands ranging from the Beach Boys to KISS will play at Black River Landing this summer as part of the Rockin’ on the River concert series.
The Rockin’ on the River concert series ran 28 years in Cuyahoga Falls, but will make its debut in Lorain this year. On March 3, Event Chairman Bob Earley published the season schedule that lists 17 weekly shows from Friday, May 22, to Friday, Aug. 28, at the Lorain Port Authority’s festival site.
Tribute bands will play the music of rock n’ roll and country greats including the Eagles, Metallica, Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, Heart, Pink Floyd, Journey, Eric Clapton, Michael Jackson, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, the Rolling Stones, Bad Company and more.
The concert series will have back-to-back shows June 12 and 13, July 3 and 4, July 10 and 11 and July 17 and 18.
Each show will feature at least two bands, and most shows will have admission of $5. A discounted season pass will be sold soon for $65, according to the website.
“The city of Lorain and the Port Authority have provided the most beautiful site right on the river for all to enjoy and we invite you to join us,” Earley said on rockinontheriver.com.
Shows will have gates opening at 5:30 p.m. and run until 11 p.m. rain or shine. There will be free parking and designated motorcycle parking.
Events also will have at least 20 sponsors, including Lorain County mainstays CenturyLink, Lorain County Community College, Lake Erie Harley-Davidson, Heidelberg Distributing Co., Mercy, Spitzer Marinas, Fairfield Inn & Suites of Avon and WOBL Gold Country 1320 AM and Kool Kat Oldies 1380 AM. Cleveland Scene and classic rock station 98.5 WNCX also will be regional media sponsors listed at rockinontheriver.com.
The event schedule includes:
- May 22: Broken Road — Salute to Rascal Flatts and Monica Robins and the Ninja Cowboys
- May 29: 7 Bridges — The Ultimate Eagles Experience and Karri Fedor and Kerosene
- June 5: Mr. Speed — The World’s Best KISS Tribute and Jukebox Heroes
- June 12: Phil Dirt Presents Surf’s Up! A Tribute to the Beach Boys! and Pat Dailey
- June 13: Michael Stanley and the Resonators and The Juke Hounds
- June 19: Battery “The Masters of Metalica” and Joe Vitale Jr.
- July 3: Hollywood Nights — Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band Tribute and Straight On Heart Tribute Band
- July 4: Fins to the Left Jimmy Buffett Tribute and Human Nature reggae band
- July 10: 20 Ride Zac Brown Tribute and Coalies Run
- July 11: Wish You Were Here — The Sight and Sound of Pink Floyd and Colin Dussault’s Blues Project
- July 17: Escape — Journey Tribute and Evolution — Eric Clapton Tribute
- July 18: Bruce in the USA — The World’s No. 1 Tribute to Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band and Ace Molar featuring Fox 8 TV personality Todd Meany
- July 31: Who’s Bad — The Ultimate Michael Jackson Tribute Band and That 80’s Band
- Aug. 7: ZOSO — The Ultimate Led Zeppelin Experience and Victory Highway
- Aug. 14: Dirty Deeds Xtreme AC/DC and Scarlet & the Harlots
- Aug. 21: McGuffey Lane and Tom Frietchen Band
- Aug. 28: Satisfaction — The International Rolling Stones Show and Alex Bevan and 10 from 6 Bad Company Tribute
Rockin’ on the River also will help promote the Ohio Dream Night talent search and show to be held Sept. 18 and 19 at the Lorain Palace Theater. The Ohio Dream Night originally was to be held March 20 and 21 but was postponed due to scheduling conflicts.